Blog Journal 1 (Due 9/11)

There are many reasons why both teachers and students are using technology more and more in the classroom setting. For teachers, it is now becoming a standard and expectation that they are teaching and using technology. Therefore, it is foundational for a proficient teacher to be technologically literate. State and national organizations such as the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) and the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) are creating the expectation that teachers incorporate technology into students' everyday learning, and as well communicate with peers, students, and parents through technology. Students are also expected to participate in learning through the use of technology, as technology can lead to higher thinking, more creativity, and it is an easy way for teachers to assess students' competency.

Overall, I found the ISTE standards to be more in depth and extensive than I expected. For the most part, the student standards make sense to me. I found the "Digital Citizenship" standard particularly meaningful to me, because I think it is important with the ever-growing use of technology, that students know how to use the internet and resources it provides in a responsible way. There are ways in which the internet can help students, but if they are not taught how to use it in a responsible manner, it can become detrimental to their future and even possibly dangerous. One standard that seems outside of my skill set right now, as a potential future educator, is the standard that requires teachers to "design/develop digital age learning experiences and assessments." This sounds like a lot of time and responsibility added to the already large workload teachers have. I would not know how to do this in an efficient and effective way.

I absolutely agree with calling today's youth "digital natives". I often notice a huge difference in the knowledge and proficiency my peers have with technology as opposed to my teachers, professors, and parents. It seems to come naturally to the younger generation. Even though I don't consider myself as technologically savvy as most people my age, it is sometimes frustrating to sit in a classroom where the professor is struggling constantly with technology. I anticipate a continued gap in the literacy of technology with my future students and I, because they will be raised with different technology than I am used to. This means that in order for me to be the most effective teacher I can be, I will need to keep up with developing technology, and take the time to grow more proficient in my weak areas with technology.

Comments

  1. I definitely agree that it is becoming a standard and almost a requirement that teachers are using technology to facilitate their lessons while teaching. I also completely relate to the ISTE standard you felt was outside your skill set, designing/developing digital age learning experiences and assessments. That skill in itself confuses me and I have no idea how to approach it either. I also agree with labeling today's youth as "digital natives" since they are growing up with such advance technology. It is definitely very frustrating to have a teacher playing around with technology in a classroom when they don't know how to work it. From a student's perspective, this takes time away from learning the lesson in the classroom. Hopefully we will not struggle like that with technology as teachers in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the ISTE standard to be more in depth than I expected it to be. I think it is very important for teachers to be up to date and capable of handling technology necessary for teaching. I am glad to see that their are some standards to make sure that teachers are capable of handling it or at least should be capable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your optimism that as teachers we will not struggle as much with technology as our teachers do now and I also love your understanding that technology is ever-changing. Our ability to adapt to technological changes as teacher will be very important and crucial to being an effective teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Celena!

    I really like that you mentioned how the internet is a resource for students, but also that it can be detrimental if used irresponsibly. I feel like our generation, while proud digital natives, can also be unaware of the downsides that technology have. Things like overflow of information, false information, and stolen information are all things that could potentially harm students (and all of us, honestly) both in and out of school. I'm glad that you plan to address these issues and educate your students on how to responsibly use it!

    Best,

    Josalin Hughes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ILP #1 "Design" - Infographic

Blog Journal 10 (due 11/13/17)

ILP #2 "Design" Digital Storytelling