Blog Journal 3 (9/24/17)
After reading through the ELA technology standards, a couple stood out to me that I think I would be able to teach with my current knowledge. One of these is "Write to explain/inform" because it is something that I have been doing as a student for many years. Another standard I am comfortable with is "Vocabulary: Use Context Clues" because it is a skill that you don't need technology for, and something you can learn while reading pretty much anything. Many of the standards are ones that I don't know well enough to teach yet, including "Multimedia" and "Use Digital Media." I think that the ways standards are worded can sometimes be confusing. If they were broken down in a simpler way, or if I were given examples I bet I would be able to teach a couple more of them now with my current knowledge.
Email is a major internet resource that I would make use of to communicate with both my students and their parents. I think teaching the difference between webpages, and which ones are reliable versus which ones are not citable is another important resource. I would most likely use web enhancements for the classroom setting, because there are more risks associated with using other technology software and applications such as video chatting, instant messaging and social media in the classroom setting. When thinking about teaching in an elementary school classroom, there are a couple digital citizenship concepts the stand out as most important to teach. A couple include teaching students to "demonstrate the technology skills necessary to use and participate on the web" and "students can protect personal information about themselves and others." I think understanding how to use technology safely is the most important aspect.
I was surprised at how much I learned while designing my newsletter. I had to learn several new skills such as how to shade words and how to create two columns. I liked the freedom to choose what content I put in the newsletter and how I designed it. If I were to make another newsletter, or design a real one someday I would make it longer and go in more depth with more detail. I learned that these things take more time than I expected, and it makes sense why teachers are always working extra hours outside of the classroom and taking their work home with them.
Email is a major internet resource that I would make use of to communicate with both my students and their parents. I think teaching the difference between webpages, and which ones are reliable versus which ones are not citable is another important resource. I would most likely use web enhancements for the classroom setting, because there are more risks associated with using other technology software and applications such as video chatting, instant messaging and social media in the classroom setting. When thinking about teaching in an elementary school classroom, there are a couple digital citizenship concepts the stand out as most important to teach. A couple include teaching students to "demonstrate the technology skills necessary to use and participate on the web" and "students can protect personal information about themselves and others." I think understanding how to use technology safely is the most important aspect.
I was surprised at how much I learned while designing my newsletter. I had to learn several new skills such as how to shade words and how to create two columns. I liked the freedom to choose what content I put in the newsletter and how I designed it. If I were to make another newsletter, or design a real one someday I would make it longer and go in more depth with more detail. I learned that these things take more time than I expected, and it makes sense why teachers are always working extra hours outside of the classroom and taking their work home with them.
Comments
Post a Comment